Date: 22nd February 2009

We are a small muslim community in the heart of US and at our Masjid we don't have an Imam as of now and most of the times Fajr salaat is lead by an old arab brother, and he makes dua (with raised hands)...

Question

May allah have mercy on the Ulema, the madarasa and the students of Darul iftaa; Ameen

We are a small muslim community in the heart of US and at our Masjid we don't have an Imam as of now and most of the times Fajr salaat is lead by an old arab brother, and he makes dua (with raised hands) in qiyam after 2'nd ruku, I don't know if that's called qunoot. Is it ok if I raise my hands and make dua with him as I follow Hanafi fiqh. Will my salat will still be valid?

Lately I had noticed that I am losing concentration in my salah and I don't  feel good about it later, how should I go about improving the quality of my salat.

Jazakallah qair for your efforts for the cause of deen.

Answer

According to the Hanafi Mazhab a person should not raise his hands to make Duaa during the Qunoot of Fajr Salaat and one should remain silent with his hands left on his sides.

[Fataawa Mahmudiya V 6 PG 370 Faruqiya]

[Raddul Muhtaar V 2 PG 8 Saeed]

The following things will help you, Insha’ Allah, keep your concentration in salaah:

1. You should make an intention that you are praying to Allah Almighty and only for His sake. The clearer you are in your intention; the better will be your attention and concentration in salaah.
2. Perform your salaah on their appointed times without delay.
3. Perform your salaah according to the
sunnah of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam).
4. Stand upright. Keep your eyes open and look at the place of your prostration.
5. Do not play with your hands and do not rub your face, body or clothes. Be as quiet and still as possible.
6. Imagine yourself to be in the Presence of Allah and be rest assured that Allah is seeing you.
7. Do not rush your salaah (i.e., to perform your salaah in haste). Rather, you ought to perform every part of your salaah with care and in a relaxed manner.
8. Recite the words carefully. Pay attention to what you are saying. You should learn the meaning of various supplications or
duaas in salaah.
9. Implore Allah sincerely to help you in your salaah and to accept your salaah. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) used to say, "Allahumma a`inni `ala dhikrika wa shukrika wa husn `ibadatika (O Allah help me in remembering You, in thanking You and in worshipping You in the best way).
10. Finally, remember that
haram food, haram income and sins take away the joy and concentration in salaah. Keep yourself pure and clean as much as you can.

May Allah guide you to the Straight Path, and direct you to that which pleases Him, Ameen.

Wassalam u Alaikum

Ml. Ebrahim Desai,

Important Posts and Links

Shar'ii stance on Shares and Stocks|Have you prepared your WILL??|Moonsighting - Its that time to sight the moon