We were told that the I'tikaaf was invalid as it was not observed in a Musjid.

Question

In our area there is no Musjid, we have hired a house and converted it into a Jamaat Khana where five times Salaat is performed. During Ramadhaan, we observed Sunnat I'tikaaf in the Jamaat Khana. We were told that the I' tikaaf was invalid as it was not observed in a Musjid. Kindly comment.

Answer

The Sunnah I'tikaaf observed in the Jamaat Khana of your area was valid.
(Masaail I'tikaaf, Muhammad Raf'at Qaasmi pg.32). However, we advise that an
effort be made to establish a Musjid in that area.

From: Al Mahmood 13 Q & A from the Darul Ifta