Fatwa: # 46910
Category: Child Upbringing (Tarbiyyah)
Date: 12th January 2021


What are the rights towards my son from my previous marriage?


Assalam o alaikum!

I have only son, who is 11 right now, from my previous wedlock, which failed miserably in 2010. The son is with my ex in laws since almost birth. I sent maintenance of the child two to three times after divorce which they refused to accept saying that they did not need it. Upon their refusal, I then never sent any maintenance. My ex-wife remarried and the son was then brought up by his nanny. I also remarried and haven't visisted my son since ages and I'm now thinking to reconcile and take custody of the child. Can you please advise what are my responsibilities or rights toward my son from prevoius marriage, given circumstances. I am now worrying. I don't think he is getting quality education or best support, given poor financial conditions of my ex in laws. 


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. 

As-salāmu 'alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

We sympathize with your predicament and we make Dua that Allah Taala eases your situation. 

In principle, in a case of divorce, the mother has the right of custody over her son till the age of seven. Thereafter, the father has the right of custody. After puberty, the son has a choice to stay with whomever he wants.[1]

In all situations, the father is accountable for all his son's expenses. The non-custodian parent has visitation rights with mutual agreement.

Furthermore, we advise you to request an influential member of the family to intervene and assist in the transition to reconcile with your son. 

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best

Shakib Alam

Student - Darul Iftaa

Pennsylvania, USA

Checked and Approved by,

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.



[1]  المبسوط للسرخسي (ج5 ص207) دار المعرفة 

فنقول إذا فارق الرجل امرأته ولهما ولد فالأم أحق بالولد أن يكون عندها حتى يستغني عنها، فإن كان غلاما فحتى يأكل وحده ويشرب وحده ويلبس وحده وفي نوادر داود بن رشيد ويستنجي وحده، وإن كانت جارية فهي أحق بها حتى تحيض وكان القياس أن يستوي الغلام والجارية في ذلك وإذا استغنيا يكون الأب أحق بهما


رد المحتار علي الدر المختار (ج3 ص567) دار الفكر

(قوله: ولا خيار للولد عندنا) أي إذا بلغ السن الذي ينزع من الأم يأخذه الأب، ولا خيار للصغير لأنه لقصور عقله يختار من عنده اللعب، وقد صح أن الصحابة لم يخيروا. وأما حديث «أنه - صلى الله عليه وسلم - خير فلكونه قال اللهم اهده» فوفق لا اختيارا لا نظر بدعائه عليه الصلاة والسلام وتمامه في الفتح


التبيين الحقائق شرح كنز الدقائق (ج3 ص48) المطبعة الكبرى الأميرية

وقدر بسبع سنين) وقال القدوري حتى يأكل وحده ويشرب وحده ويستنجي وحده، وفي الجامع الصغير حتى يستغني والمعنى واحد، وقدره الخصاف بسبع سنين اعتبارا للغالب، وهو قريب من الأول بل عينه لأنه إذا بلغ سبع سنين يستنجي وحده ألا ترى إلى ما يروى عنه - عليه الصلاة والسلام - أنه قال "مروا صبيانكم بالصلاة إذا بلغوا سبع سنين" والأمر بالصلاة لا يكون إلا بعد القدرة على الطهارة، وقدره أبو بكر الرازي بتسع سنين لأنه لا يستغني قبل ذلك عادة، والفتوى على قول الخصاف، والمراد بالاستنجاء وحده هو تمام الطهارة، وهو أن يتطهر بالماء من غير أن يعينه أحد، وقيل هو مجرد الاستنجاء، وهو أن يطهر وحده عن النجاسات، وإن كان لا يقدر على تمام الطهارة، وإنما كان للأب أن يأخذه إذا بلغ هذا الحد لأنه يحتاج إلى التأدب والتخلق بأخلاق الرجال وآدابهم 

والأب أقدر على التأديب والتثقيف، وإن اختلفا في سنه فقال الأب ابن سبع، وهي قالت ابن ست فإن استغنى بأن كان يأكل ويشرب، ويلبس، ويستنجي وحده دفع إليه، وإلا فلا




DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]