Country: African Country
Date: 1st October 2020

Social distancing and Masks

Question

As Salaamu Alaykum

Respected Mufti Saheb

I trust you are well.

With regards to performing Salaah with a mask On and Social Distancing during Salaah,

many masjids, imams, trustees are using Mufti sahebs fatwas as reference.

However, it was brought to my attention that in Mufti Sahebs Madressah and more specifically during Eid Salaah there was NO OBSERVANCE of Social Distancing and MASKING During Salaah by Mufti Saheb and others present.

Please can Mufti Saheb Clarify the observance/statement made by this particular brother.

As this is a serious matter, especially after Geat Ulama of our country are against social distancing and masking during salaah.

Looking forward to a Speedy response.

May Allah keep Mufti Saheb in best of health to continue serving his deen.

JazaakAllah

As Salaamu Alaykum

Respected Mufti Saheb

I still await your REPLY on the above email sent 2 weeks ago, Regarding the observation/statement made against Mufti Saheb.

Also please clarify if the rule of using a mask and social distancing during Salaah still applies even though the government has gone down to level 1.

Mufti Sahed passed the fatwa during level 4.

I await you speedy response

JazaakAllah

Answer

The Darul Iftaa has issued a Fatwa, that in the circumstances of the pandemic, it is permissible to practise social distancing and wear a face mask. This is also the Fatwa from Darul Uloom Deoband signed by five prominent Mufti’s.[i]

The Fatwa is based on principles of Shariah and not on any Government regulations on any level of the pandemic.

It is permissible to practise on social distancing and wear a face mask at any level during the pandemic.

In view of the differences of opinion on the issue, we do not insist on practising on any one view. We do not insist that one should practise social distancing and wear a mask during the pandemic nor do we insist that one should not practise on social distancing and not wear a mask during the pandemic. We simply presented our view that social distancing and wearing a mask is permissible and not prohibited.

[i]