Country: African Country
Date: 24th August 2020

Offsetting income tax with interest - Is this permissible?

Question

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah. 

Muhtaram Hazrat,

I am a govt employee in Bangladesh. My monthly salary is directly deposited in my personal account in a government bank as per office rule. My office deduct a certain amount of income tax before depositing my salary. At the end of the year, we calculate the total payable income tax and pay the remaning amount. 

Based on the account's balance amount, the bank (government bank) give some interest on six monthly basis. 

Is it permissible to adjust the interest paid by this governmental bank against the income tax payable by me? 

wassalam. 

Answer

First and foremost, it is Haram to engage oneself in interest bearing transactions.

If the interest is accrued from a government owned bank, it is permissible to offset government-imposed income tax with that interest money.[1]

Bilal Yusuf Pandor

فتاوى دار العلوم زكريا ج 5 ص 391 [1]

جديد فقهي مسائل ج 1 ص 253

كتاب الفتاوى ج 5 ص 315-319

أحسن الفتاوى ج 7 ص 21

نظام الفتاوى ج 1 ص 185