Country: African Country
Date: 15th August 2020

Treatment of negative thoughts regarding Allah

Question

Question:

Assalamualikum,

i am a 20 year old muslim boy. I am facing a problem from several days. I get bad thoughts and insults about allah and his prophet in my mind. I get very bad words about allah and i feel depressed after having such thoughts. These thoughts keep constantly coming to my mind whenever i pray salah ;and also in other times. Earlier these thoughts used to come only in salah but now they come all the time. I am also not sure whether i say these bad words in mind or did i utter it slowly because i have a habit of saying things to myself. I dont know how to deal with these thoughts. Will i be accountable for these thoughts (the thoughts are very bad sometimes i feel like i may lose eeman because of these thoughts).The thoughts contain bad words followed by name of allah and his prophet. Thats why i am sending you this problem so i that i ca get help regarding this. Please provide me a detailed answer whether iam accountable for these thoughts or not and if iam accountable then how should i repent for it. I hope you will answer me soon because my anxiety is increasing day by day.

Answer

Your problem is not a new one. It is an old plot from the tricks of shaitan. Shaitan wants to distract you by arresting your attention. The Sahābah radiyallāhu ‘anhum once complained to Nabi about thoughts of a similar nature; 

عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ: جَاءَ نَاسٌ مِنْ أَصْحَابِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ، فَسَأَلُوهُ: إِنَّا نَجِدُ فِي أَنْفُسِنَا مَا يَتَعَاظَمُ أَحَدُنَا أَنْ يَتَكَلَّمَ بِهِ، قَالَ: وَقَدْ وَجَدْتُمُوهُ؟ قَالُوا: نَعَمْ، قَالَ: ذَاكَ صَرِيحُ الْإِيمَانِ

Abu Hurairah(raiyallāhu ‘anhu) reports that some companions of Nabi (sallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) came to him and said, “Verily we have such thoughts which we regard speaking about it to be a heinous act.” Nabi (sallāhu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said, “Do you really have such thoughts?” they replied, “Yes”.  He replied, “That is a clear sign of your belief.” (Sahih Muslim)

From the above hadith it is understood such thoughts are not abnormal for those who have true faith. A thief looks to commit theft only in places which have some goods of value. Shaitan will launch an attack on the hearts of those who have true Iman.  

Thoughts are of two types, voluntary and involuntary.  If one experiences involuntary bad thoughts then one should ignore them. This is done by conditioning the mind. Think of a highway, whilst driving one is concerned about the road ahead and does not give any significance to the traffic that surrounds oneself. In the world of thoughts one should “drive” pass these involuntary thoughts and pay attention to the work or occupation that is before oneself.

We further advise you to take the following steps in combating these thoughts.

1)     When these thoughts come, immediately recite ta’awudh:

أَعُوذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ

Translation: I seek refuge in Allaah from the rejected devil

Also recite:

لَا حول وَلَا قُوَّة إِلَّا بِاللَّه الْعلي الْعَظِيم

Translation: There is no power and no might except with Allah

2)     Make it a habit to recite some portion of the Qur’an daily.

Allah Ta’ala says:

وَنُنَزِّلُ مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ مَا هُوَ شِفَاءٌ وَرَحْمَةٌ لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ ۙ (سورة الاسراء: 82)

Translation: We send down in the Quran healing and mercy for the believers (Surah Al-Isra: 82)

3)     Engage in sincere du’a. Turn to Allah in humility and make sincere Du’a that Allah alleviate you from your predicament.

Hereunder are is a supplication you may recite to combat the whisperings of Shaytaan:

رَبِّ أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ هَمَزَاتِ الشَّيَاطِينِ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ رَبِّ أَنْ يَحْضُرُونِ [المؤمنون: 97، 98]

Translation: My Lord, I seek your protection from the evil whisperings of the Shaytaan, and I seek refuge with You, my Lord, from their presence.”

4)     Keep yourself occupied by reading authentic Islamic literature and listening to Islamic lectures. You may read the following book: Combating the Whisperings of Shaitan by Shaykh Yunus Patel (Raḥimahullāh) for effective methods on dealing with these whisperings of Shaitaan.

Along with this, we advise you to listen to the following discourse delivered by my honourable teacher, Mufti Ebrahim Desai (Hafidhahullah), in regards to dealing with Waswasah (whispers):

https://daruliftaa.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Before-Zuhr-23.mp3

https://daruliftaa.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/After-Zuhr-23.mp3

You may also listen to spiritual advices of my honourable teacher, Mufti Ebrahim Desai (Ḥafidhahullāh). The discourses on Qasida Burda will be very useful for spiritual upliftment.  The discourses are available here

Lastly, it would be extremely beneficial if you could link yourself with a reputable spiritual guide and follow his guidelines.

May Allah expel such thoughts from your mind and alleviate you from this predicament you are being faced with.

Abu ‘Umar Muhammad bin Zayn Patel

South Africa