Category:
Date: 13th August 2020

Having a Public Instagram account - Is this permissible?

Question

Assalamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakathu, Mufti Sahab.

I'm trying to share my written stories that follow Islamic guidelines on Instagram but without using animate pictures. Instagram has the option to keep my account private.

I have a private account but I want to publish my stories in two public accounts: one account for a novel and another for short stories.

Would it be permissible to have these two public accounts, that I have not made yet, as they can be freely followed by Non-Mahram? 

Or should I just keep a private account and post all my future stories there?

JazakAllahu Khairan Katheeran Katheera.

Answer

Wa Alaykumus Salaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

In The Name Of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful.

Respected Sister in Islam,

Your sensitivity regarding matters of Deen is noted and commendable.

Social media platforms have positive and negative factors. There is a possibility that the negative factors outweigh the positive factors. That is more so in the case of a female who is required to be completely concealed, to the best of her ability at all times. The phenomenon of “hits” , “likes” and “followers” could be very challenging on ones Nafs, which may want to respond to the flattery and comments on ones posts to increase his/her influencer status. That could lead one to be linked forever thus compromising on ones Deeni values and principles .What commenced with a sincere intention to serve Deen , may end up serving ones Nafs and desires. Furthermore sister, Instagram is also not free of other un-Islamic factors. We therefore advise against using Instagram.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best

Ebrahim Ibn Ahmed Dadan

Pietermaritzburg South Africa