Date: 21st September 2020

Do I still get the reward for hajj even though I didn't go due to COVID-19?

Question

I paid a deposit to go hajj this year from the uk, but because of coronavirus the company has cancelled and are going to return my deposit. Do I still get the reward for hajj even though I didn't make any action towards it?

Answer

Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam has said:

إِنَّمَا الأَعْمَالُ بِالنِّيَّاتِ، وَإِنَّمَا لِكُلِّ امْرِئٍ مَا نَوَى

Translation: "Actions are judged by its intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. (Sahih al-Bukhari 1)

You had made an intention to perform Hajj and did all that was within your means. However, it was the Taqdeer (Divine plan of Allah Ta’ala) that you couldn’t perform Hajj. However, bear in mind that Allah Ta’ala is الشكور, Allah Ta’ala values whatever His sincere slaves do. You will certainly be rewarded for your intention of performing Hajj.

If you had not performed your Fardh Hajj as yet, you should try and apply to go for Hajj in the forthcoming year.