Date: 22nd September 2020

Lost trust in Allah - What do i do?

Question

Mufti Sahib I am not happy with my life.  Ever since I stepped into this country school kids have been bullying me like hell because of my name.  They would make swear words out of my name I ended up needing mental help.  On top my family does not support me.  Plus I cannot work due to mental illness.  On top of that I am suffering from chronic illnesses.  I have lost trust in Allah I belief in him but I think when it comes to my life people have been very selfish and as a result I have lost trust in Allah.

My parents were careless when I was little as they and rest of my adults were addicted to bollywood and most of my life is been sinful.  As a child I have never expeierenced happiness.  I am a grown up man but lost in this world I hate my life and anyhting to do with religion.

Please make dua for me.    

Answer

We take note of your unfortunate feelings. You refer to the injustices to you at school and the careless attitude of your parents. You state that as a result you lost trust in Allah.

Brother, Allah has blessed us with the faculty of thinking and rationalising issues. You should take out time and put your past experiences in proper perspective. That, hopefully will give you relief.

You state you lost trust in Allah. If one takes Allah out of his life, then that is a lifeless person. How can one remove Allah from one’s life and not place trust in Allah when Allah is His Creator? Allah directed His Will to the person out of love and created him. Allah bestowed him with existence purely with His will and granted him a world of bounties, his eyes, ears, mouth, nose, thinking, millions and millions of blood vessels etc. He provided air, water and drink. Each one is a priceless bounty of Allah. If Allah did not love you, He would not create you and bestow you with all these bounties. Focus on Allah as your Creator with love and not only as your trustee in who you place trust.

If, for example, you have a son and you bestow him with all comforts of life out of love and care. If someone does injustice to him, would it be fair and correct of him to blame you for the injustices if you had put systems in place to protect him and he did not utilize the systems of protection against the injustices?

Brother, Allah has created this world for all to live equally with our natural dispositions. If one experiences any oppression, he should use the means to remove the injustices. If he did not do so, then he cannot blame Allah. Yes, it may well be that there are deficiencies in making use of the means created by Allah. However, the fact that Allah created such means is sufficient for us to appreciate Allah and value Allah. Brother, if you were bullied in school, the school ought to have recourse for such situations. You could have reported the abuse to the principal or any teacher and ensure that you do not become a victim of such injustice. It is also possible you may have reported the issue to your school or your parents and the injustice was not addressed. That is a deficiency in the school or the parents. It is incorrect to place the blame on Allah and lose trust in Allah.

Brother, Rasullullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalam) was oppressed in the course of his Da’wah. Ayub (Alaihis Salaam) faced major health related challenges. Yahya (Alaihis Salaam) was killed. There was a plot of an assassination against ‘Isa (Alaihis Salaam). All these challenges did not deter the prophets of Allah. In fact, they turned more to Allah and had more confidence in Allah.   

Allah will grant you relief in this world and definitely you will be rewarded for all the pains and sufferings. Remember, no pain of a believer is in vain. Consider the following Hadith:

عن صهيب، قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: عجبا لأمر المؤمن، إن أمره كله خير، وليس ذاك لأحد إلا للمؤمن، إن أصابته سراء شكر، فكان خيرا له، وإن أصابته ضراء، صبر فكان خيرا له (مسلم)

Translation: “Suhaib (Radhyallahu Anhu) reported that: Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alihi Wasallam) said “How wonderful is the case of a believer; there is good for him in everything and this applies only to a believer. If prosperity attends him, he expresses gratitude to Allah and that is good for him; and if adversity befalls him, he endures it patiently and that is better for him”. (Muslim)

Mahmood Suliman

Gaborone, Botswana