Date: 11th September 2020

Living in a house purchased through a conventional loan.

Question

Respected Ulama

I would like to thank you all for your service to the ummah. May Alaah bless you all abundantly!

My father purchased our family home using a finance product offered at a conventional banking institute 23 years ago. The house has been completely paid for(including the interest charges). I am aware that interest is a major sin in islam and my father has subsequently sought forgiveness for his major transgression. My questions are:

1. Is there something my father must do(like giving the initial value of the home in charity) over and above his repentance to make the house halal? 

2. Am I sinful as I have lived in this house my entire life(I currently still reside in this house) and fear Alaah (S.W.T) wrath and punishment? 

Jazakalaah

Answer

Brother in Islam,

Aameen to your du’as.

It is pleasing to note that your father has sought forgiveness for the conventional loan. May the Almighty accept his taubah and make us all steadfast on practicing deen. Aameen.

You state that the amount due for the house has been paid. Your father also paid the interest accumulated on the conventional loan.

(1)  Your father is not obliged to discharge the interest amount in charity.

(2)  The house belonged to your father; your father has made taubah too. Entering into a interest bearing loan was not your action.You will not be liable for the burden of living in such a house.

Assistant Mufti,