Date: 11th September 2020

Am I wrong to recite Quran throughout the day?

Question

As Salam u alaykum

I'm 16 and follow hanafi fiqh. Sometimes when I walk around or something, I read certain verses of Quran that have gotten stuck in my heart due to frequent listenings. For example I was listening to someone reciting a verse from Surah bani Israeel in mujawwad, maqam bayaati. The verse sounded so beautiful that it stayed in my heart and subconsciously i say it like that throughout the day.

Obviously i knowwhen to stop. Eg going to toilet, janabah etc.

Is what I'm doing a bad thing?

Answer

Brother in Islam, 

There is immense virtue for one who listens to the recitation of the Quran. See the following hadith:

عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ، قَالَ مَنِ اسْتَمَعَ إِلَى آيَةٍ مِنْ كِتَابِ اللهِ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ، كُتِبَ لَهُ حَسَنَةٌ مُضَاعَفَةٌ، وَمَنْ تَلَاهَا كَانَتْ لَهُ نُورًا يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ (مسند احمد)

Translation: It is reported on authority of Abu Hurairah (Radiallahu Anhu) that Rasulullah (Salallāhu Alaihi Wasallam) said, “Whosoever listens to a verse from the book of Allah, the All Mighty, The Most High, multiple rewards are written down for him, and whosoever recites it, then for him is a (specific) light on the day of reckoning.” (Musnad Ahmed 14/191)

Listening to the recitation of the Quran was in fact the practice of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). See the following hadith:

عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، قَالَ قَالَ لِي رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ اقْرَأْ عَلَىَّ سُورَةَ النِّسَاءِ ‏"‏ قَالَ قُلْتُ أَقْرَأُ عَلَيْكَ وَعَلَيْكَ أُنْزِلَ قَالَ ‏"‏ إِنِّي أُحِبُّ أَنْ أَسْمَعَهُ مِنْ غَيْرِي ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ فَقَرَأْتُ عَلَيْهِ حَتَّى إِذَا انْتَهَيْتُ إِلَى قَوْلِهِ ‏{‏فَكَيْفَ إِذَا جِئْنَا مِنْ كُلِّ أُمَّةٍ بِشَهِيدٍ}‏ الآيَةَ فَرَفَعْتُ رَأْسِي فَإِذَا عَيْنَاهُ تَهْمِلاَنِ

Translation: Abdullah Ibn Masud narrated: The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said to me: recite Surat al-Nisa’. I asked: Shall I recite to you what was sent down to you? He replied: I like to hear it from someone else. So, I recited (it) until I reached this verse “How then shall it be when We bring from every people a witness?”. Then I raised my head and saw tears falling from his eyes.

You also state that you recite the verses that you heard throughout the day and that you understand the situations when you can and can not recite the Quran.

We commend you for listening and reciting the Quran. However, it is important to understand the Quran and the injunctions that it imparts on us. We advise you to capitalize on your love for the Quran and take time out to read and understand the meaning of the Quran. By doing so, your knowledge and love for the Quran will increase and will benefit you greatly.

Hasan Ahmed Razzak

Student – Darul Iftaa

Paterson, New Jersey, USA

13-01-1442| 09-01-2020