Date: 27th August 2020

Miswaak for two-year-old daughter

Question

Assalamualaikum mufti sb.,

Can you plz tell me at what age a person use miswak I mean 

Can I brush my two  year old daughter with miswak.. 

JazallJaza..

Answer

We commend you on your zeal to impart Deeni knowledge to your young daughter.

There are no minimum or maximum stipulated ages for using a Miswaak. The Miswaak is a tool for dental hygiene and a great Sunnah of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam).

It is appropriate to teach the child the significance of the Miswaak. This objective is better achieved if your daughter is of an age wherein she is able to understand what is explained to her. However, it is never too early to start imparting Deeni practices to one’s children.

Nevertheless, provided using a Miswaak will not harm your daughter and her growing teeth, you may begin to show her how to use a Miswaak correctly.

You may consult a medical professional for further guidance.

Bilal Yusuf Pandor