Date: 29th June 2020

I am a revert, I want to get married but I am scared - Who will marry me?

Question

Assalamu aleikum..

I am a 28 year old girl living in Finland.

I converted to islam less than a year ago. Before that my whole life I didnt know anything. I am not virgin anymore and regret it so much at this point but there is nothing I can do about it... I want to get married but I am scares that I get problems for this since I know most of muslim men want a virgin girl. Help, what should I do...

Answer

We are pleased to note that Allah has blessed you with Islam. This is indeed a great bounty of Allah upon you. When you accepted Islam, you have commenced a new life. All your previous sins are forgiven. See the following ḥadīth. 

The Prophet (saw) said: “Islam wipes out all the previous sins”[1][1]

Sister, we advise you to educate yourself more on Islam and be steadfast on Islam. Sister, do not be apprehensive for not being a virgin. Turn to Allah and ask Allah to grant you a suitable and compatible spouse. When the time comes, exercise precaution, consult with the appropriate people, and also make istikhārah. 

If one informs the potential spouse of being a revert, he would understand the general life of a non-Muslim. It would be best to be open and transparent about issues directly related to marriage in order to avoid anxiety and complications after marriage. 

If a person is happy with your condition and accepts you for who you are, then you would enter a marriage with honesty and peace of mind.

Sister, turn to Allah and make duʿā that He grant you a suitable spouse. In Shā Allah, there will be somebody who will be proud of your accepting Islam and take care of you.

Usaamah Dadipatel

Eshowe, KZN, South Africa.

[2][1] aī Muslim: Ḥadīth: 121.