Date: 26th November 2019

Islamic School Graduation Day. Can i take part?

Question

Assalamu a'laikum- I am a female who works at an Islamic School which was established couple years ago. At the end of the school year, our school arranges Graduation Day to celebrate student achievements. The event is arranged in the auditorium with men seated on one side and women on the other side. I observe complete Hijāb and cover my face; I would like to know if it is permissible for me as an employee to be a part of this event and partake in organizing it. Jazakallah

Answer

It is pleasing to note you observe complete hijab and also cover your face. It is in fact compulsory for a woman to cover her face. An Islamic school ought to practice and propagate Islamic values. Shariah has emphasised on complete segregation of sexes. Males should not interact and see females and vice versa. This is collectively understood from the following verses:

{قُلْ لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَغُضُّوا مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ وَيَحْفَظُوا فُرُوجَهُمْ ذَلِكَ أَزْكَى لَهُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا يَصْنَعُونَ} [النور: 30]

Translation: “Say to the believing men they should lower their gaze and guard their private parts, that is purer for them. Allah is Aware of the things they do”

With regards to females Allah Ta’ala says:

{ وَقُلْ لِلْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ وَيَحْفَظْنَ فُرُوجَهُنَّ} [النور: 31]

Translation: “Say to the believing women they should lower their gazes and guard their private parts.”

{وَإِذَا سَأَلْتُمُوهُنَّ مَتَاعًا فَاسْأَلُوهُنَّ مِنْ وَرَاءِ حِجَابٍ ذَلِكُمْ أَطْهَرُ لِقُلُوبِكُمْ وَقُلُوبِهِنَّ} [الأحزاب: 53]

Translation: “When you ask them for anything, then ask them from behind a curtain. This is purer for your hearts and for their hearts.”

{يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ قُلْ لِأَزْوَاجِكَ وَبَنَاتِكَ وَنِسَاءِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِنْ جَلَابِيبِهِنَّ ذَلِكَ أَدْنَى أَنْ يُعْرَفْنَ فَلَا يُؤْذَيْنَ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَحِيمًا} [الأحزاب: 59]

Translation: “O Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalam)! Tell your wives, your daughter and the women of the believers that they should draw down their Jalaabeeb over themselves (wear a loose garment that covers their entire body without revealing their shape of the body).”

The situation in the auditorium as explained by you does not fulfil the Shariee requirements of complete hijab. The men and women are separated but they are in the same hall. They will enter together or at least they will be seen by each other. It is also normal in such situations for both genders to mix with each other and freely talk. Therefore, the auditorium lay out is not sufficient. You should advise the administration to have a complete segregation.

Mahmood Suliman

Gaborone, Botswana

Follow Mufti Ebrahim Desai’s official Twitter handle: @MuftiEbrahim

Latest Tweet:

You don't have to be a Hafiz or Aalim to serve Deen. You simply need to be a Muslim who loves your Deen.”