Date: 25th August 2020

Marital issue

Question

As salamulaikum,

I am in great dilemma regarding my pregnancy. I have a 7 year old daughter (Masha Allah) from my first marriage. 

I remarried after divorce and now I am almost one month pregnant with the child of my 2nd husband. I am currently living with my mother's family as my 2nd husband has still not taken me to his house. We are in the process of moving to our own house Insha Allah in a few months. 

My mother and my reatives are against my pregnancy and want me to abort the baby. They feel that my older daughter will be neglected as they feel my 2nd husband has not accpeted her completely. I have no support from anywhere. My 2nd husband is also not financially very strong. 

Please help me and let me know if I should keep the baby or go for an abortion. I should also mention that my 2nd husband is a reverted Muslim, however he does not practice Islam. 

Please help in the name of Allah. 

Answer

You mention that you have a seven-year-old daughter. You got divorced and now you are remarried. You are now pregnant. Your mother and relatives want an abortion. Their concern is the abandoning of your elder daughter. Your concern is your husband is not financially strong.

Sister, it is pleasing to note that your husband has accepted Islam. We advise you to encourage your husband to learn more about Deen. He should attend lessons and learn regarding aspects of Deen. You should also encourage him to perform Salah and recite Quran at home. Create an environment of Deen in your home. Allah Ta’ala will make all affairs easy. 

Sister, Islam advocates sanctity of life. Allah Ta’ala says in the Quran:

{وَمَنْ أَحْيَاهَا فَكَأَنَّمَا أَحْيَا النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا} [المائدة: 32]

Translation: Preserving the life of an individual is like preserving the life of the entire mankind. (Al-Ma’idah: 32)

Allah Ta’ala blessed you with a great bounty of creating His creation through you. Value and appreciate this bounty of Allah Ta’ala. Remember, Allah Ta’ala is Al-Hakim (The All Wise). He knows your circumstances and still blessed you with pregnancy. Trust in the wisdom of Allah Ta’ala.

It is our belief that Allah Ta’ala is the Sole Provider. He provided for trillions from the inception of this world and continues to do so. He created us and gave us eyes, ears, a body by His choice. Each of these bounties is greater in value than anything alike. He also sustained us in the wombs of our mothers through His unique system when no one else could feed us. Indeed, Allah Ta’ala is the Sole Provider for the millions of human beings, for the animals of the animal kingdom and fish in the ocean.

We simply adopt means to sustain ourselves. However, Allah Ta’ala puts effect in the means and decrees to provide for us. Our means alone do not provide for us. Allah Ta’ala granted you a child. He will provide. Your husband is merely a means.

Have hope in Allah Ta’ala. Be positive. Allah Ta’ala will make your affairs easy. Display qualities of hope, courage and conviction in Allah Ta’ala. Make Dua daily. We ask Allah Ta’ala to guide you and your husband to that which is the best In Sha Allah. Aameen.

Mahmood Suliman

Gaborone, Botswana