Date: 9th August 2019

Can I ask my daughter to delay wearing a hijab until she returns from her educational programme?

Question

Assalamu alaikum My 17 year old daughter has been thinking about wearing a hijab and was planning to start next month after her return from an education program. However in the very last minute she decided she is no going to the education program because she wants to immediately start wearing hijab and pray 5 days. She is worried that she would be under prejudice in the education program while wearing a hijab ( that area is known to be quite prejudiced against Muslim). She knows she she doesn’t have the strength. I had asked her to continue with her original plan, go to the 4 weeks education program, then when she returns she can be totally committed. Am I wrong to encourage her to delay wearing her hijab ? I feel like religion is a life time but this education program is a temporary opportunity. Please advise I appreciate the advice and guidance Jazak allah Leyla

Answer

In principle, it is fardh for a female who has attained puberty to wear hijab. It is sinful to leave out a fardh even if it were for a temporary period. On the other hand, the educational programme you are referring to is not fardh. It is incorrect to leave out a fardh act to accommodate for something which is not compulsory in Shariah.

We advise you to allow your daughter to proceed with her noble intention of wearing a hijab.

Naved Akhtar ibn Shabbir.

Student - Darul Iftaa

Shillong, India.