Date: 6th May 2019

Inheritance question-nieces and nephews

Question

MUHTARAM IMAM SAHIB

ASALAM-ALAYKUM

A PERSON DIED ON 10TH FEBRUARY 2019 AND WAS ISSUELESS/UNMARRIED. HE FOLLOWED HANFI FIQAH. HE WAS OWNER OF A HOUSE AND RS. 10 MILLIONS IN HIS BANK ACCOUNT. HIS PARENTS, GRAND PARENTS, FULL BROTHER AND SISTER HAD DIED LONG AGO. HE IS SURVIVVED BY MATERNAL AND PATERNAL NEPHEWS/NEICES:

I) ONE SONS AND THREE DAUGHTERS OF HIS PREDECEASED ELDER SISTER WHO DIED IN THE YEAR 2017 AND

II) TOW SONS AND TWO DAUGHTERS OF HIS PREDECEASED YOUNGER BROTHER WHO DIED IN THE YEAR 2005.

I SHALL BE GREATFUL, IF YOU KINDLY ADVISED AS TO HOW THE ESTATE OF DECEASED WILL BE DISTRIBUTED AMONGST THE SURVIVORS AT (I) AND (II) ABOVE WITH SOME REFERENCES/HADITH?

RAHEEL MALIK

Answer

DISCLAIMER

•The Shariah ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

•Darul Iftaa bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

•This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Darul Iftaa

We have been advised that the deceased is survived by,

• Two brother’s sons
  • Two brother’s daughters
  • One sister’s son
  • Two sister’s daughters

Accordingly, the estate of the deceased will be divided into 2 shares as follows:

Beneficiaries

Shares

Percentage

Brother’s son (1)

1

50 %

Brother’s son (2)

1

50 %

TOTAL

2

100  %

Note: The brother’s daughters and the sister’s children will not inherit.

Note: If there are other heirs such as the children, the above will not apply.