Date: 17th July 2019

Writing a review on Amazon

Question

Assalamu alaikum,
Scenario:Recently i had an unusual experience with a product's customer service, I had a koios hand blender with 2 year warranty, its rotating stick came off along with a small shard making the blender unusable, first I tried to fix it myself but could only fix it temporarily, so I contacted them about it, they asked me to send a picture of it. as the product looked fine, they asked me to let them know if the problem resurfaces, so I argued them about it saying, its not safe to use and the food may get contaminated with the residue of the broken shard. To which they responded with this: Customer Service Rep: "I see. Let me quickly check with our manager if I can manage to help you get a replacement for this.I was able to talk with my manager and explained the issue of your product. I have managed to talk with our supervisor and she said that the defective part of your product is currently out of stock.But if you are willing to write a 5-star review on the Amazon's product listing page, we can send you a whole new set of replacement for free.Would you agree with the offer?"
I thought, as i already like the product and their service, its fine and i agreed to the offer. Wrote a genuine review which stated: "The product works very well. The customer service is even better, i had a small issue with the white stick which works as the rotor and they agreed to send a full replacement"They agreed to send me a replcaement and asked me not to bother sending the original product.
Questions:1) Will this be considered as a bribe?2) Is the new blender which will be coming in 2 weeks, considered as Haram to use?3) What should my response be for such situations in the future?

Answer

Your desire to adopt a halaal course of action is encouraging. Adopting halaal invokes the mercy of Allah Ta'laa and barakah in your wealth.

You state the handle of the blender you had purchased was faulty. It was the company’s responsibility to replace the item.

In your review, you stated what exactly your experience was.

In any way, the company was obliged to replace you the item. The blender will be halaal for you.

Mahmood Baig