Category:
Country: Pakistan

Government giving subsidy for performing Hajj

Question

Assalam o alaikum!

In Pakistan, government usually gives subsidy to intended pilgrims going for performing Hajj on Government Quota. Every year, thousands of people file applications for hajj on this quota and govt ballots out the succesfull applicants. However, I came to know that giving subsidy by the government on Hajj is not Shariah compliant. I mean it is not permissible for people performing Hajj to take advantage of this subsidy because in Islam Hajj is obligatory on only those who can afford it, primarily, apart from other requirements.

This year, government has forwarded a request to Islami Nazriati council to advise them on this matter whether or not it would be permissible in Islam to give any subsidy to Hajis so that they can decide on it accordingly.

While this is being deliberated in Islami Nazriati council, which includes prestigeous/reliable scholars, I would like to know what is your take on this?

Jazakallah

Answer

As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh

Alhamdulillah, it is pleasing to note that the government of Pakistān has referred the issue in reference to the Nazriati Council which consists of reliable Ulama. The local Ulamā will analyze the issue from different angles and dimensions and advice the government of Pakistān accordingly, Inshallah.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best.

Akhyar Uddin 

Student, Darul Iftaa 

Buffalo, New York, USA 

Checked and Approved by