Title: Husband’s responsibility towards parent’s in-law

Question

Aslkm 

1. Do I have any responsibility towards my mother in law in terms of monetary or any such matters? Do I have to do for her? 

2. My wife does not know anything about Deen, there was a misunderstanding in the beginning of the marriage, I was under the assumption that she only didn't know things like reading Quran but turns out she does not know the basics, please advise what do I do? Do I try and get her into a madressa or something like that? 

Answer

1. 1)         In principle, you are not obligated to maintain / support your mother in-law. However, if your mother in-law requested your assistance and you assist her, you will be greatly rewarded for that.

1. 2)         There are many avenues to educate oneself on Deen. You know your situation and circumstances best. You may adopt any reliable and authentic means to educate your wife. You may consult your local Aalim for guidance on that. If there are female classes available to read Qur’an and basics of Deen, then make use of such facilities.

Mahomed Yasser Yunus Hussen

Mozambique