Asked Country: Canada

Title: Can I become a police officer? Will it be regarded as kufr to become a police officer?

Question

Assalam’aleykum, I live in canada and have studied to be a police officer. However, recently I have been told this is kufr and haram Kufr For these reasons: 1)I have to take an oath 2)there is a tiny cross on the arm patch (could I cover it)? 3)I am enforcing man made laws. 4)I may have to arrest muslims who commit crimes Haram for these reasons 5)assist in sin, such as its legal to drink in Canada, however police can ticket those who are drunk in public, although they don’t ticket that often for this, unless they are causing problem, where the police then arrest them Or provide security for parades such as the gay pride parade, (I would not do this, I would ask them to post me somewhere else.) 6)during a domestic problem I will have to talk to them to work it out however in extreme cases where the individual has been abused badly or they are afraid for their lives I may have to arrest the abuser until they figure something out personally or in the courts. 7)police departments are funded by taxes. The government collects taxes from its citizens to keep the country running and some of these taxes are used for public services such as police and firefighter or even road construction. Also in Canada the government isn’t oppressive like France, we can practise our religion without issue. and the police are very nice it’s not often that a officer shoots someone like in the United States. They are trained to use words before anything else. I am confused, is this an act of kufr, I have asked other sites but none have clarified my points. I was hoping you could clarify this for me as I am 27 years old looking to get married but the job I have now I don’t make much money for a family and have been trying to be a police officer past year until I heard this news For your reference this is the oath: I solemnly swear (affirm) that I will be loyal to Her Majesty the Queen and to Canada, and that I will uphold the Constitution of Canada and that I will, to the best of my ability, preserve the peace, prevent offences and discharge my other duties as (insert name of office) faithfully, impartially and according to law. So help me God. (Omit this line in an affirmation.) or I solemnly swear (affirm) that I will be loyal to Canada, and that I will uphold the Constitution of Canada and that I will, to the best of my ability, preserve the peace, prevent offences and discharge my other duties as (insert name of office) faithfully, impartially and according to law. So help me God. (Omit this line in an affirmation.) Also for reference these are the websites that have got me worried. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/darussaafi.wordpress.com/2014/05/13/the-ruling-on-some-matters-the-police-or-the-army-face-shaikh-al-albani/amp/ http://theghurabah.blogspot.com/2015/03/joining-police-force-of-disbelievers.html?m=1 https://www.google.ca/amp/s/islamissunnah.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/can-i-join-police-force/amp/ I follow the Hanafi Madhab I don’t believe those sites are hanafi, but they have me worried. Jazak Allahu Khairan

Answer

It is permissible for you to work as a police officer in Canada. All the points you refer to is not kufr.

You may also refer to the following link.

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/35725