Asked Country: Russian Federation

Title: Income of a financial analyst at a bank

Question

Assalam Alyaikum! 1. Some years ago I worked in central bank. I was analyst. I worked in analysis financial instruments: gold, government bonds, shares, deposits and etc., formalization of documents which are connected with these financial instruments. The main income of bank from government, maybe all income. Was my work haram? May be partly salary haram and the remained part halal? 2. Then I went to maternity leave, I took a money from government and also from my work. The money sum from government depended on my work’s salary. Which money are halal/haram? 3. In maternity leave I got money from my work on the birth of my baby this money was mine or my baby’s?

Answer

Sister in Islaam,

The answers to your queries are as follows:

1. If you advised on an issue that was permissible, then the income of that service will be halaal. If you advised on an issue that was impermissible, such as interest, etc., then the income of that service will not be halaal.

You should apply your discretion to see what percentage of your work was in advising on impermissible/haraam issues. You should then deduct that amount from your total salary and disburse it in charity without expectation of reward[1].

E.g. Out of 100 cases you advised on, 15 were interest related. Hence, you will deduct 15% of the total you earned from these 100 cases.

1. The grant given to you by the government for maternity leave and the amount paid to you by your employer for paid maternity leave are both halaal.
  2. The money given to you by your employer upon the birth of your child is yours.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

[1]  حاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (6/ 385)

ويردونها على أربابها إن عرفوهم ، وإِلا تصدقوا بها لِأَن سبِيل الكسب الْخبيث التصدق إذا تعذر الرد على صاحبه

البحر الرائق شرح كنز الدقائق (8/ 229) 

وإلا يتصدقوا به؛ لأن سبيل الكسب الخبيث التصدق إذا تعذر الرد

تبيين الحقائق شرح كنز الدقائق (6/ 27)

وإلا تصدقوا بها؛ لأن سبيل الكسب الخبيث التصدق إذا تعذر الرد على صاحبه.

احسن الفتاوى (7/ 16)

فتاوى محموديه (16/ 381)