Answered Date: Apr 30,2018

Title: Shari’ah compliant credit card

Question

Some banks are offering credit cards that are Shria compliant and approved by their shria boards. I am not confident if I should enter into such an agreement with the bank and i need your advice.

Though, rarely, at times I have a pressing need of a credit cards when I have to buy something from abroad but I have managed to live without it so far due to the riba aggreement condition (which is straight no form my side). But now I learned that Shria compliant credit card is being offered by one of the leading banks. Below is the fatwa by their shria board. https://www.sc.com/global/av/pk-saadiq-credit-card.pdf. Can you please advice me on this. Thanks.

Answer

We are not in a position to issue a ruling on the Shari’ah compliant credit card in reference without details on the design and the contract of the credit card. You may send us the relevant information or refer to your local Mufti for guidance.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

Muhammed Al-Ameen Bin Moulana Ismail Akoo

Newcastle; KZN, South Africa