Asked Country: Australia

Title: Shia and Sunni marriage

Question

I am a Sunni and I’m thinking of engaging a Shia girl she has told me that she accepts me as a Sunni and that she agrees to raise the kids Sunni is it haram or halal if I marry her?

Answer

You did not mention the exact beliefs of the Shia girl.

However, the belief of the mainstream Jafari Shias of today are at variation with the beliefs of Ahl-sunnah Wal jamaa’ah.

In principle, if one has beliefs that are at variance with the Ahlu-Sunnah Wal-Jammah, it is not permissible to marry such a person.

The girl acknowledging you as a Sunni and accepting to raise the children as Sunnis not sufficient to marry her. She should be advised to accept the true Islaam by adopting the beliefs of the Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaah. Her focus should be her eternal salvation after death, rather than merely trying to legitimize the marriage.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

Muhammed Al-Ameen Bin Moulana Ismail Akoo

Newcastle; KZN, South Africa