Asked Country: Australia

Title: Marriage or Umrah

Question

Assalamulaikum Mufti

A year ago I took an ought to go for umrah and have not yet gotten the opportunity. 

In the meantime I found someone to marry and we are in a serious relationship. Ido not know when will I go for umrah...it might be another four to five months.

Is it better for me to continue my relationship and get married end of 2018? Arranging a wedding is difficult and the girls family lives thousands of kilometers away. So could we continue our relationship or should we move in together now whilst I book off time to plan for umrah oath?

The family thinks I should postpon marriage until end of 2018 so it will convenient for everyone. How often should I be meeting her to keep up the relationship? 

JazakaAllah khair 

Answer

Respected Brother in Islam,

You state that you made an oath to perform Umrah. Before fulfilling your oath, you found a suitable marriage partner and now you’re in a serious relationship with her.

Pre-marital relationships are not permitted in Islam. Each moment that you spend with her, you are violating the commandments of Allah Ta’ala. He says,

وَلَا تَقْرَبُوا الزِّنَا ۖ إِنَّهُ كَانَ فَاحِشَةً وَسَاءَ سَبِيلًا {32} 

Translation: Do not (even) approach fornication. Indeed, it is immoral and evil as a way. (Quran 17:32)

We advise you to legitimize this relationship by performing the Nikah immediately.

You may postpone the walimah (wedding) in consideration of both of your families.

Performing the Nikah is as simple as going to your local scholars and requesting them to perform your Nikah. They will advise accordingly.  

Once you’ve completed this, we hope from Allah Ta’ala that He will place blessings in your relationship as well as your future halal endeavors.

Thereafter, once you find the opportunity and the means, you should hasten for Umrah.

Saad Haque

New Jersey, USA