Asked Country: Indonesia

Title: Non-muslim employees

Question

Assalaamu 'Alaikum.

I have several questions regarding ruling to non-muslims employee for my business. Let's say that i have a little software company in Canada, and most of my employees are Christians. Do they have to follow islamic rules since i own the company.

1. Do i have to force my employee to wear hijab? Even though they are not muslim. What if they come to my office with tight clothing while their religion allowed them? Do i have to force islamic clothing to them?

2. What should i do if they asking for eating (lunch) during ramadhan in my office.

3. I put television in my office and video games console, are we allowed to play video games together?(note: man and woman in the same room

4. They usually listen to music from our computer, and since music is allowed for christians but not in Islam, do i have to forbid them about this?

5. Let's say i wanna put a customer services, should i told them to not shaking hand with our "non-mahrams" customers? (note: my employee and customers are Christians)

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Answer

You should endeavour to structure your company according to Islamic values. All companies and corporates have disciplinary rules. You may set out the disciplinary rules of your company according to Islamic values to the best of your ability.

Dressing modestly is a disciplinary code adopted by many companies. You stipulate that the dressing must be modest i.e. loose fitting clothing. You may recommend covering the hair.

Avoid providing such facilities that will be in conflict with Islamic values, for example males and females being together and playing video games.

Shariah has ordained us, Muslims to fast in the month of Ramadhaan. You may permit your non-muslim staff to have lunch in Ramadhaan in the office.

Tanzania