Category: Business Matters
Fatwa#: 39366
Asked Country: India

Answered Date: Nov 26,2017

Title: I borrowed money


Assalamualikum ,

I want to buy a house but I do not have the money. So I borrowed 10 lakhs  from an other person under an agreement. That house earns monthly rent of 10,000RS/month. So, I made the agreement that I will give 5,000/month from that rent to the person who gave me the money until 2 years. After 2 years I will repays the whole amount of 10 lakhs.

1.Is this permissable or Not?

2. If not, then WHY?



In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

You have borrowed 10lakhs which is a qarz. When one takes a loan, only the loaned amount has to be paid. Any excess amount above the loaned amount will be riba[interest]. Accordingly the agreement to give Rs5000 rental money in lieu of the qarz is incorrect and it is riba. [1] 

We can advise a Sharia Complaint alternative for you if you furnish us the following:

  1. What is the total cost of the house?
  2. How much money you can contribute to buy the house?

You can furnish the complete details in addition to the above and email us at  Ref:Anas.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Anas Sharieff Qasmi.

Student Darul Iftaa

Hyderabad, India.

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.




النتف في الفتاوى للسغدي (1/ 485)

كل دين جر مَنْفَعَة لَا خير فِيهِ

الغرة المنيفة في تحقيق بعض مسائل الإمام أبي حنيفة (ص: 96)

"كل دين جر نفعا فهو حرام"




DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.