Asked Country: Australia

Title: Living in a non-Muslim country

Question

Assalamualaikum Wa RahmatUllahi WaBarakatuhu,

My name is Javed. Before getting into too much details I will present my current situation in some points:

1) I don't want to worry too much about dunya but family demand makes me crazy

2) As days progress, I am loosing all attraction to dunya but as my family has spent too much behind my education, it is my duty to earn something of it.

3) Living in a kuffar land where it is almost like a challenge to make ends meet, let alone earning a handsome amount in short time

4) The financial system is cashless(Almost) and full of RIBA.

5) I can't see any good future (for Akhirah) here.

6) Leaving this country is not solving the problem (as far as concerned, Allah Knows Best)

Now, my question is , as I don't have enough money to pay my family or at least give them the least financial support, and most importantly, I know that living in a kuffar land is not permitted for a muslim without valid reasons, I am completely confused of what to do. I want to maintain my deen and satisfy my family as well, but this country and it's system is not Islam friendly.

Wallahi, I need a solution, please help me, I am feeling guilty.

ZazakAllahKhair 

Answer

You refer to living in a non-Muslim country and you also refer to financial difficulties.

It is permissible for a Muslim to live in a non-Muslim country and practice Islam to the best of one’s ability. Many non-Muslim countries allow freedom of religion. In fact, in many instances, Muslims living in non-Muslim countries are able to practice Islam more in relation to Muslim countries. It will be incorrect to regard living in a non-Muslim country a hindrance for practicing Islam.[1]

You also refer to financial difficulties. That too is not confined to a non-Muslim country. Muslim countries are none the better in that regard. It is possible for you to freely practice Islam in a non-Muslim country. You are also free to freely earn your livelihood and become rich. Do not be negative and complain about living in a non-Muslim country. Be positive and do whatever is possible within your means to practice Islam and live a comfortable life.[2]

Abdullah Syed Sajid

Houston, TX, USA 

[1] Contemporary Fatawa (by: Mufti Taqi Usmani sahib, Pg.: 295)

السنن الكبرى للبيهقي (6/ 211) [2]

أَخْبَرَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ عَبْدَانَ , ثنا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ عُبَيْدٍ الصَّفَّارُ , ثنا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ إِسْحَاقَ السَّرَّاجُ , ثنا يَحْيَى بْنُ يَحْيَى , أنبأ عَبَّادُ بْنُ كَثِيرٍ, عَنْ سُفْيَانَ الثَّوْرِيِّ, عَنْ مَنْصُورٍ, عَنْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ , عَنْ عَلْقَمَةَ , عَنْ عَبْدِ اللهِ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: طَلَبُ كَسْبِ الْحَلَالِ فَرِيضَةٌ بَعْدَ الْفَرِيضَةِ