Answered Date: Jul 13,2017

Title: Can I give Zakat to my sister who possesses jewelry that reaches the value of nisab but has no source of income?

Question

One of my sister is having jewellary of about 110 gms which above the limit of nesab i.e she is saheb nisab. But she is poor and have not any source of incone to cover her expenses. I wish to give some amount of zakat. To her but she is not accepting that she is saheb nesab. This jewellary was inhereted by her mother. It is possible for me give zakat to her pls advice. Thank you

Answer

No, you cannot give Zakat to your sister because her jewelry reaches the amount of nisab even though she does not have a source of income. [i]

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best,

Mufti Sohail ibn Arif,
Assistant Mufti, Darul Iftaa
Chicago, USA

لا يجوز دفع الزكاة إلى من يملك نصابا أي مال كان دنانير أو دراهم أو سوائم أو عروضا للتجارة أو لغير التجارة [i]

فاضلا عن حاجته في جميع السنة

الفتاوى الهندية، ١/ ١٨٩