Answered Date: Jun 26,2017

Title: I work part time and earn £600 a month. Do I have to give Zakat?

Question

I live in the UK and I work part time and earn £600 a month. My social benefits has stopped too and I'm still short of money as I'm unable to work full time.
Do I still have to pay zakaat?
JazakAllah Khair

Answer

Zakat is not based on one's income. Rather, it is based on one's individual wealth (assets on which Zakat is applicable after subtracting debts) on the day that person calculates his Zakat (the annual lunar date that Zakat became compulsory upon him).

If the combined value of your wealth (cash, gold, silver, etc) reaches the amount of nisab (612.35 grams of silver which equals £265.39 GBP as of June 1st 2017) and one has this wealth for one lunar year, then Zakat will be due on the total amount.

As long as you possess the amount of nisab at the beginning and at the end of the year you will have to give Zakat. This means that if the total amount of your wealth decreases during the course of the year but you still end up having the amount of nisab at the end of the year you will still have to give Zakat.

Since you are from the UK (as stated above) we have converted the value of the nisab to GBP, which as of June 1st 2017 equals £265.39 GBP. 

You can check the website http://darulfiqh.com/ for daily updates to this value.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best,

Mufti Sohail ibn Arif,
Assistant Mufti, Darul Iftaa
Chicago, USA

بهشتى زيور تيسرا حصة ص ٢٣  تعميرى كتب خانة [i]