Asked Country: Germany

Title: Is istigatha permissible?

Question

is istighatha meaning =calling out  ya sheikh so and so help me ( while the sheikh is already past away) but with the believe that only Allah gives benefit and gives harm.

i want to know because from Salafis i heard that this is shirk. From others i have heard that it is permissible with this caution and the firm believe that only Allah helps. Some told me that Ahlul Sunna permitted it and that the one who goes against it is not from Ahlul Sunna, and the Salaf themselve did istighatha. Can you explain to me this matter with detail please and did our Salaf and our great Imams peformed istighatha 

JazakAllahu khairan

Answer

It is our belief that Almighty Allah has the power to do everything. Allah Taala says,

'ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ'

“Call to me, I will answer you.” (Surah-Gafir, 60)

Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam Advised,

إذا سألت فاسأل الله وإذا استعنت فاستعن بالله

“When you ask, ask of Allah and when you seek help, seek help of Allah.” (Jami‘al-Tirmidhī)    

The type of Istigatha (seeking help) referred in the question wherein one calls out to the dead person for help is Haram. [i]   

And Allah Ta‘āla Knows Best

Mehrazur Rahman

Brooklyn, NY, USA

[i] (الإرشاد في مسألة الإستمداد، مقالات عثماني، ج ٢، ص ٢٨٥)

(Adapted from Ma’aarif al-Quraan of Ml. Muhammad Idris Khandahlawiy Vol.1 Pg.21)