Fatwa: # 38521
Category: Marriage
Country: United Kingdom
Date: 15th August 2017


Children visiting grandparents


Assalaa-mo-alaykoom Mufti Saab! 

I have a dispute with my wife about my children not allowed at their grandparents house. 

I have 2 boys age 4years and the youngest is 4 months.  My parents live in their own house with my brother and his family.  My wife has no issues with my parents but there is a dispute with the other family members (brothers wife and his kids).  Because of this she is refusing to let me take my 2 sons to visit grandparents. Her argument is that she doesn't want my kid's to have anything to do with the other family members. 

Can she stop me taking my older son. She is saying I should bring my parents to our house.  

I would also like to point out that I do not stop my children visiting my mother in laws house. But my wife's argument is that she doesn't take the kids there and brings her mum to our home.  That is her choice but the fact is I DO NOT stop her the way she is stopping me.  

Not only that my wife is so over protective of my son that I have to ask permission if I can take him out for example to the park, friends or other family.  And only if she agrees then I can otherwise it's a no. Basically she has the last say. I want to have that bond with my son like any father would want to. I'm really looking forward to when he will reach the age to come with me at the masjid. She thinks I'm very careless and I feel that I'm being treated like a little child and it's really frustrating. 

Can you please advice us on this matter.  Does my wife have that right. Don't I have any rights. Or are there any circumstances at all where she can stop the children going?


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

You refer to two issues in your query.

(a)  Dispute with the brother’s wife and his children.

(b)  Your wife’s protective attitude towards your son.

You enquire about your rights in the above two situations. Disagreement between spouses are best resolved with wisdom and diplomacy. It may not be wise to focus on your rights to visit your parents’ home and take your child out. You know your wife better and you know when and how you could take her in in your confidence and address the issues.[1]

Tolerance and wisdom are the cornerstone of successfully addressing contentious and sensitive issues.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Muhammad IV Patel

Student Darul Iftaa
Lusaka, Zambia 

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.


[1] جامع أحكام الصغار، ج ١، ص ١٥٣، دار الفضيلة 

٣٤٤ – ليس لأحد الأبوين أن يمنع الآخر من تعاهد الولد:

وفيه – أيضا -: إذا كان الغلام والجارية عند الأم فليس لها أن تمنع الأب من تعاهدهما، وإن صار إلي الأب فليس له أن يمنع الأم من تعاهدهما والنظر إليهما.

DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]