Asked Country: Bangladesh

Title: Secular Education for Women

Question

I am A student of 11th grade.I do coaching with some of my fellow classmates.They , without informing kicked oné of my friend out and took another person in.

Is this considered injustice in islám?

Should i continue there?

They had their point on kicking her out but they didnot inform her.

Should i maintain good ties with them?

I am talking about my friends who are female.

Could you tell mě what jš the need of secular education? How much must a person attain for the sake of Allah?

Answer

It is permissible (mubah) to acquire secular education. The general principle of a permissible action is that it should not be contaminated with the violations of Shari’ah.

If a permissible action is contaminated with violations of Shari’ah, it will be considered impermissible.

If a female acquires secular education in an environment where there is no intermingling with males and no other violations of Shari’ah, only then will it be permissible.

If there are violations of Shari’ah – which is generally the case in schools, colleges, and universities – it will not be permissible.

In such an instance, while there is a need for secular education, the need to preserve one’s Islamic values, principles, and practices is more important.

Saad Haque

New Jersey, USA