Country: Australia
Date: 4th September 2020

Can you recommend a list of books that contain stories of the Companions and the pious?

Question

Assalamu alaikum,

Can you please recommend me some books narrations of stories of the sahaba and piois, and in particular if available stories of recent times too. Sometimes I mistakenly think that only back in the golden era of Islam were there pious people. But I do hear occasionally stories of pious people or pious people passing away blessed deaths.

I do not like to read anything I find on Google lest it be inaccurate.

Answer

Please find below a list of books in English that contain stories of the Companions [sahaba], the Followers – the generation that came after the Companions [tabi'in], and the pious from later generations.

Stories of the Sahaba by Shaykh al-Hadith Muhammad Zakariyya Kandhelwi (Translated by Shaykh Asim Ahmad – Madania Publications)

Portraits of the Lives of the Successors by Dr. Abdur-Rahman Ra'fat Al-Baashaa (Published by  the Institute of Islamic and Arabic Sciences in America). Available in multiple volumes.

Saviours of Islamic Spirit by Shaykh Abu’l-Hasan ‘Ali al-Hasani Nadwi (Revised and Edited Translation by Abdur-Rahman ibn Yusuf Mangera – White Thread Press)

The Ramadan of Shaikh al Hadith Muhammad Zakariyya and our Elders by Dr. Mohammad Ismail Memon Madani (Madania Publications)

The Great Scholars of the Deoband Islamic Seminary by Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani (Turath Publishing)

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Sohail ibn Arif,
Assistant Mufti, Darul Iftaa
Chicago, USA