Category:
Date: 13th September 2015

Is it permissible for the husband and wife to live separately for a duration after nikaah?

Question

My question is this. If a man and woman get a nikkah done, Is it permissable for the now legally married couple to live seperately for a set period of time. 

The situation is this. Myself and the girl I wish to marry live in different countries. I am 24 years old and she is 20. I live in New York and she lives in London. We both wish to get married but she wishes to finish her education in London. Her degree would be completed within 2 years. In that time I would be able to pursue my masters degree as well while I financially establish myself so once we do begin living together I can support her as my wife.

What is the correct course of action regarding this situation?

We were planning on getting our nikkah done and then our visiting each other and spending time with each other would be permissable in Islam but I heard that living seperately is not. 

JazakAllah to anyone who can help 

Answer

The purpose of nikaah is to safeguard ones chastity and attain peace and comfort through ones spouse. The separation of the spouses will defeat that. We therefore advise you to make adjustments and live together.

However, if the spouses mutually agree to live separately and occasionally meet and fulfil their marital requirements, then that is their choice. However, the separation of the spouses does not invalidate the nikaah.

Bilal Issak

Leicester, England, UK 

الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (3/ 3)

قوله: عقد) العقد مجموع إيجاب أحد المتكلمين مع قبول الآخر أو كلام الواحد القائم مقامهما أعني متولي الطرفين بحر وفيه كلام يأتي. (قوله: أي حل استمتاع الرجل) أي المراد أنه عقد يفيد حكمه بحسب الوضع الشرعي. وفي البدائع أن من أحكامه ملك المتعة وهو اختصاص

وَلَا يَبْلُغُ الْإِيلَاءَ إلَّا بِرِضَاهَا، (الدر المختار، المطبوع مع حاشية ابن عابدين (3/ 203))

وَيَجِبُ أَنْ لَا يَبْلُغَ بِهِ مُدَّةَ الْإِيلَاءِ إلَّا بِرِضَاهَا وَطِيبِ نَفْسِهَا بِهِ. (فتح القدير (3/ 435))

وَلَنَا أَنَّهُ ظَلَمَهَا بِمَنْعِ حَقِّهَا (الهداية، (2/ 259))

فَأَمَّا فِي الدِّيَانَةِ فِيمَا بَيْنَهُ وَبَيْنَ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى فَعَلَيْهِ أَنْ يُجَامِعَهَا أَحْيَانًا لِيُعِفَّهَا ، فَإِنْ أَبَى كَانَ عَاصِيًا ، وَالنُّصُوصُ مِنْ السُّنَّةِ وَالْآثَارِ تُفِيدُ ذَلِكَ. (فتح القدير (4/ 192))