Asked Country: Canada

Title: Car lease related

Question

Salamulikom,

• I leased (Rented) a car from an Owner Company for a 3 year.
  • It was agreed by me that the cost of any damage that occurs on the car would be evaluated, and I would be responsible to fix it or pay the cost of fixing, when the car is returned.
  • Some one hit the car. The damage caused by the accident was evaluated then to be  $1100, by one of the body shops. The person who crash with my car paid this amount to me at the time.
  • After the three years term were up, I returned the car. Although, I did not fix the damage caused by the accident, I fixed some other damages in the car. The owner company did not charge me any money.
  • Should I pay any money back for the person who did the accident with my car?
  • If now I do not have that amount, what should I do?

Answer

Brother in Islaam,

According to our understanding of the query, you leased a car from a company for three years and you agreed to either take responsibility to fix or pay later for any damages occurred while in your possession. During the lease period you met up in an accident and the person who hit your car paid you the amount evaluated to fix the damage. Upon termination of your contract, the company did not charge you for the said damage. This was a token of good-will from their side.

The money paid to you at the time of the accident is yours. You do not have to return it to him.