Fatwa: # 23738
Category: Divorce
Country: Germany
Date: 27th December 2012


Does Separation of the wife break the Nikaah?


I have a question regarding my separation/divorce. I have been separated from my husband for six months now. My legal divorce is almost finalized and I will soon be applying for a Khulla because my husband has neither cooperated for the divorce not come for reconciliation. I have had no communication or relations with my husband in the past six months. My questions is about the Iddat period, I go to school, work full time. I understand I can dismiss school temporarily, however I do have financial obligations which worry me about leaving work. Just recently I also took responsibility for my sister’s finance so that too is my responsibility. I have also been told being separated for so long, does break the Nikaah, however from research it seems this is not entirely true? Does my time period away from my husband change the factors of the iddat? I appreciate your time


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

Sister in Islam,

You are correct. The wife being separated from the husband for any period of time without the husband having issued the divorce (Talaaq), does not constitute a divorce. The Nikaah remains intact. Furthermore, Khula is also not valid without the consent of the husband.

If you wish to come out of the Nikaah, We advise you to consult your local Ulama body and apply for an annulment of your Nikaah.


You may also contact the Darul Iftaa telephonically on the following numbers: 031 207 5772/031 822 3094.

The Darul Iftaa timings are:


Mon-Thurs: 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM

                    2:00 PM – 05:00 PM


Friday:         8:00 AM - 11:30 PM

                    2:00 PM - 05:00 PM


Saturday:      8:00 AM – 12:00 PM


And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best                                       

Ismail Desai,
Student Darul Iftaa
Durban, South Africa

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]