Country: Canada
Date: 31st May 2020

What are the conditions for praying Istikhara Salah? What should I expect afterward?

Question

What are the rules for praying Istikhara Salah? What should I expect afterwards as a result? Should I take notes of my dreams afterwards?

Answer

Istikhara refers to “Seeking good in any important matter or task.”

Istikhara Salaah is performed as follows:

1. Perform two Rakaats of Salaah.

2. Recite Surah Kafiroon in the first Rakaat and Surah Ikhlaas in the second Rakaat.

3. Thereafter, recite the following Du’aa:

اَلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ، وَالصَّلاةُ وَالسَّلامُ عَلَى سَيِّدِنَا مُحَمَّدٍ وَّعَلَى آلِهِ وَأَصْحَابِهِ أَجْمَعِينَ.

اَللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْتَخِيرُكَ بِعِلْمِكَ، وَأَسْتَقْدِرُكَ بِقُدْرَتِكَ، وَأَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ العَظِيْمِ، فَإِنَّكَ تَقْدِرُ وَلاَ أَقْدِرُ، وَتَعْلَمُ وَلاَ أَعْلَمُ، وَأَنْتَ عَلَّامُ الغُيُوبِ، اَللَّهُمَّ إِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الْأَمْرَ خَيْرٌ لِّيْ فِيْ دِيْنِيْ وَمَعَاشِيْ وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِيْ، فَاقْدُرْهُ لِيْ وَيَسِّرْهُ لِيْ ثُمَّ بَارِكْ لِيْ فِيْهِ، وَإِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الْأَمْرَ شَرٌّ لِّيْ فِيْ دِيْنِيْ وَمَعَاشِيْ وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِيْ، فَاصْرِفْهُ عَنِّيْ وَاصْرِفْنِيْ عَنْهُ، وَاقْدُرْ لِيَ الخَيْرَ حَيْثُ كَانَ ثُمَّ أَرْضِنِيْ بِهِ

All praises are due to Allāh, the Rabb of the Worlds. Salutations and Greetings be on our leader, Muhammad, his family and all his Companions.

Oh Allāh! I seek from You a decision by virtue of Your Knowledge (of what is best), and I seek from You the ability (to realise my object) by virtue of Your Power, and I ask You (to grant me) from Your Great Bounty, for indeed You have power and I do not have power, and You know and I do not know, and You are the Knower of the Unseen. Oh Allāh! If, according to Your Knowledge, this matter is good for me with regards to my religious affairs, my worldly life and my final outcome (i.e. in the Hereafter), then direct it towards me and ease it for me, thereafter grant me blessing in it. And if, according to Your Knowledge, this matter is evil for me with regards to my religious affairs, my worldly life and my final outcome (i.e. in the Hereafter), then turn it away from me and turn me away from it. And direct towards me that which is good, no matter where it is, thereafter make me pleased with it (i.e. that good.)”

If one cannot perform Istikhara for whatever reason, one should at least recite the Du’aa of Istikhara.[1]

After making Istikhara, one should adopt a decision in accordance to whatever the heart is inclined towards.

It is not necessary that a person sees any dream. One should adopt whatever occurs to the heart after Istikhara. Insha’Allah, there will be Khair and Barakah in that.[2]

Kindly refer to the following link for more details on how to perform Istikhara: http://daruliftaa.net/General-Islamic/istikhara.html

Moulana Ismail Desai,
Durban, South Africa

[1] Istikhara in the Light of the Sunnah, Pg.22 - 23

[2] Istikhara in the light of the Sunnah, Pg.22- 23