Fatwa: # 19789
Category: Divorce
Country: Bangladesh
Date: 22nd February 2012


I want to divorce my wife. What should I do?


I am in a very difficult situation. My parents forced me into marrying a girl.  After marriage, I was not physically attracted to her and I decided to separate.  We have not had physical relations for six months and we are living in different rooms.  She doesn’t want to be divorced.  My father is still forcing me all the way he can to stay with the girl.  I tried but I cannot.  Even the girl and her family threaten me that they will take legal action against me if I divorce her.  Please suggest to me what I can do?  Is it already a divorce that I don’t stay with her for six months.


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

We make Du’āAllāhTa’ālā removes your difficulties.  Amīn.

It is clear from your explanation that you have a serious marital discord. You should identify a senior family member and confide in him.  Seek his counsel and request him to represent you in front of your father.  In such a situation, it is best to make Istikhārah and seek Divine guidance. 

Impress upon your father to allow you to make Istikharah and decide based on that.  In making Istikhārah be balanced and objective.  Keep on making Du’ā to Allāh to guide you.   InshaAllāh the help of Allāh will soon come your way.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

MawlanaAbdul Azīm bin AbdurRahman,
Student DarulIftaa

Checked and Approved by,
MuftiEbrahim Desai.

DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]