Answered Date: Jun 07,2017

Title: Does watching porn invalidate the fast

Question

Assalamualaikum Mufti saab. Unfortunately last year during Ramadan I watched pornography while fasting. I was not fully sure whether it would break my fast or not. I became very regretful and began searching whether it broke my fast or not. Some people said yes while others said no. Mufti saab I come to you with great shame asking this question. I have repented to Allah (swt) and have sat in the company of Ulama to try and better myself. Did my fast break? If so, how do I make up for it? One more question if I may: While I was fasting today I made ablution and put water in my mouth and then spat it out. I then proceeded to pray my salat and because I was thirsty I intentionally swallowed my spit. I was not sure whether there was water in the spit or not. If I kept on spitting until I was sure the water was gone from my mouth I would become even more thirstier. Did my fast break also Mufti saab? Jizakallah for taking your time to read this question. Wa'asalamualaykum.

Answer

In the name of Allāh, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalāmu ῾alaykum wa Rahmatullāhi Wabarakātuh

In principle, any sin that is committed during fast renders it makrooh. Thus, your fast was makrooh not annulled. May Allah jalla jalāluhu grant you steadfastness on your tawbah.

It is makrooh to intentionally collect one’s saliva and swallow it. Therefore, your fast was intact.

(Aap Kay Masail, Vol. 3, Pg.286,Maktabah Bayyinaat)

And Allāh Ta῾āla Knows Best
Wassalāmu ῾alaykum

Ml. Abdur Rahman Shareef,
Student Dārul Iftā

Concured by:

Ml. Abduz Zaman,
Student Dārul Iftā

Under the guidance of:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb

DISCLAIMER - Dārul Iftā questions

The Dārul Iftā answers issues pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and can not be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. To ensure this Askimam.org will start to flag such questions. Previous questions on Askimam.org do not carry such cautionary message.  Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.

·           The Shar῾ī ruling herein given is specifically based on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·          The Dārul Ifta bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer. The Dārul Iftā being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·          This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Dārul Iftā.

·          Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited.Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.