Answered Date: Jul 09,2009

Title: my question is that what does islam says about virginity. the reason i am asking this question is because me and my friends are very worried about it. Alhaumdulillah we are pure and religious

Question

my question is that what does islam says about virginity. the reason i am asking this question is because me and my friends are very worried about it. Alhaumdulillah we are pure and religious girls but still as you know that just riding a horse, or jumping can make girls not virgin. espeically, in our societies they always take it in a very wrong way that girls might have done a sin. for example, if a girl get married and the husband finds out that she is not virgin then he kicks her out of the house. even if she had been a pure girl and very protected. however, she could have lost her virginity when she was young by just playing jumbo, or riding a bicycle etc. would you please tell me about it? This question is for every girl who are wondering about themselves. our socitey can kill us to death if we girls are not virgin. So what does islam says about it, and our people should know about?

Answer

Your question is regarding the hymen, a fold of tissue at the entrance of the female private part.  Unfortunately, people incorrectly believe that a virgin woman has an intact hymen and, in contrast, a torn hymen means that a woman is not a virgin.  However, this is not correct.

Very often, a woman may tear her hymen earlier in her life while riding a bike, jumping, doing gymnastics, etc, many times without even realizing it.  A torn hymen does not indicate to the lack of virginity.  A woman loses her virginity only through intimate relations. 

Furthermore, the first time a woman has relations, it is possible for her to not even tear her hymen.  And, if she does, then it is possible that she may not bleed.  Hence, the husband cannot use the existence of an intact hymen or its breaking on the first night to judge the virginity of his wife. 

Therefore, the actions you mention of your community are appalling, despicable, and based on utter ignorance.  Based on a torn hymen, it is absolutely harām for her family to accuse her of having had illegitimate relations (i.e. zinā) before.  Allāh Ta’ālā mentions regarding those who accuse chaste women:

وَالَّذِينَ يَرْمُونَ الْمُحْصَنَاتِ ثُمَّ لَمْ يَأْتُوا بِأَرْبَعَةِ شُهَدَاءَ فَاجْلِدُوهُمْ ثَمَانِينَ جَلْدَةً وَلَا تَقْبَلُوا لَهُمْ شَهَادَةً أَبَدًا وَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ (4) إِلَّا الَّذِينَ تَابُوا مِنْ بَعْدِ ذَلِكَ وَأَصْلَحُوا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ (5) وَالَّذِينَ يَرْمُونَ أَزْوَاجَهُمْ وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُمْ شُهَدَاءُ إِلَّا أَنْفُسُهُمْ فَشَهَادَةُ أَحَدِهِمْ أَرْبَعُ شَهَادَاتٍ بِاللَّهِ إِنَّهُ لَمِنَ الصَّادِقِينَ (6) وَالْخَامِسَةُ أَنَّ لَعْنَتَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ إِنْ كَانَ مِنَ الْكَاذِبِينَ (7) وَيَدْرَأُ عَنْهَا الْعَذَابَ أَنْ تَشْهَدَ أَرْبَعَ شَهَادَاتٍ بِاللَّهِ إِنَّهُ لَمِنَ الْكَاذِبِينَ (8) وَالْخَامِسَةَ أَنَّ غَضَبَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهَا إِنْ كَانَ مِنَ الصَّادِقِينَ (9) (النور: 4-9)

(4) And those who accuse chaste women and do not produce four witnesses, flog them with eighty stripes and reject their testimony forever.  They are the evil-doers.  (5) Except those who repent thereafter and do righteous deeds.  Verily, Allāh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.  (6) And those who accuse their wives but have no witnesses except themselves, let the testimony of one of them be four testimonies by Allāh that he is one of those who speak the truth  (7)And the fifth (testimony should be) the invoking of the curse of Allāh on him if he is from amongst the liars (Qur’ān 24:4-9)

Utilizing the services of an ‘Ālim or elder, respected members of your family/community, you should convey this information to them and notify them of the impermissibility and ignorance of their actions.

Wassalamu Alaikum

Ml. Abrar Mirza,

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

________________________________________________________________________
Visit us at:
http://www.al-inaam.com                                                  [ Madrassah In’aamiyyah ]
http://www.askimam.org                                            [ Darul Ifta - Madrassah In`aamiyyah ]
http://groups.google.com/group/shariahcompliant     [Shariah Compliant Business Campaign]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shifaa                                [As-Shifaa Islamic Forum]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ulama_sa                                [Ulama-SA Islamic Forum]

DISCLAIMER - Askimam.org questions

The Askimam.org Site answers issues pertaining to Shariah. Thereafter these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and can not be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. To ensure this Askimam.org will start to flag such questions. Previous questions on Askimam.org do not carry such cautionary message.  Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.

·          The Sharée ruling herein given is specifically based on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.

·          The Darul Ifta bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer. The Darul Ifta being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.

·          This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of the Darul Ifta.