Date: 14th May 2009

I have commited a shirk , When I was 17 or 18 years old I had been to a small temple with one of my Hindu friends and I threw some flowers on it.

Question

I have fallen in love with a hindu girl that time.

I do not remember If I had asked for something during that time.

I am 27 years old now.. I feel ashamed when I remeber what I have done.. I follow my prayers and I am have deep regrets for what I have done.

What shall I do so that I get forgiven for what I have done ?

Answer

If a person commits any form of sin, including Kufr and Shirk and he sincerely repents, he will be forgiven by Allah Ta’ala.The forgiveness of Allah Ta’ala is never-ending as long as one is pure and sincere in his/her Tawbah from the sin. When one commits a sin and repents with sincerity to Allah Ta’ala he must have full conviction that his forgiveness is accepted.

Allah Ta’ala says in the Quran:

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَى أَنفُسِهِمْ لا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ.(الزمر، 53)

Say: “O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: verily, Allah forgives all sins. Truly He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”(Quran 39: 53)

If a person enters a temple, it will not constitute shirk, however it is a major sin. You have mentioned that you are unaware of what you asked for. This also will not constitute shirk. In both situations sincere repentance ought to be made with a firm determination never to repeat the mistake.

Wassalamu Alaikum

Ml. Ebrahim Desai,