Title: What is the correct procedure for praying Tahajjud Salat ?

Question

Jazakallah for providing your e-mail on RR Croydon. I have some questions which I would be extremely greatful if you can take the time to answer.

What is the correct procedure for praying Tahajjud Salat

I would be grateful if you could take some time to reply back. Jazakallah for your time during Ramzan, I have learnt alot from your lectures & qa sessions. Make dua for me inshallah.

Answer

1.    Virtues of Tahajjud

Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم said, "When one third of the night remains our Rabb (Lord), Most High, Most Exalted, descends to the first sky and announces, "Who is there to beseech Me that I may answer his prayer and who is there to seek forgiveness that I may forgive him.' Then He spreads out His hands (of kindness and mercy) and proclaims, "Who will grant a loan to the One who is neither a destitute or an oppressor.” (Sahih Muslim)

صحيح مسلم - (ج 5 / ص 124(

حَدَّثَنِى حَجَّاجُ بْنُ الشَّاعِرِ حَدَّثَنَا مُحَاضِرٌ أَبُو الْمُوَرِّعِ حَدَّثَنَا سَعْدُ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ قَالَ أَخْبَرَنِى ابْنُ مَرْجَانَةَ قَالَ سَمِعْتُ أَبَا هُرَيْرَةَ يَقُولُ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- « يَنْزِلُ اللَّهُ فِى السَّمَاءِ الدُّنْيَا لِشَطْرِ اللَّيْلِ أَوْ لِثُلُثِ اللَّيْلِ الآخِرِ فَيَقُولُ مَنْ يَدْعُونِى فَأَسْتَجِيبَ لَهُ أَوْ يَسْأَلُنِى فَأُعْطِيَهُ. ثُمَّ يَقُولُ مَنْ يُقْرِضُ غَيْرَ عَدِيمٍ وَلاَ ظَلُومٍ ». قَالَ مُسْلِمٌ ابْنُ مَرْجَانَةَ هُوَ سَعِيدُ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ وَمَرْجَانَةُ أُمُّهُ.

Abu Hurairah narrates that Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم said “When a third of the night passes, Allah descends to the first sky and proclaims, I am the Lord, I am the King, who would beseech me so I may grant his call?, who begs of me so that I may grant him his desire?, who seeks forgiveness from me so that I may pardon him?

صحيح مسلم - (ج 5 / ص 122(

حَدَّثَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ حَدَّثَنَا يَعْقُوبُ - وَهُوَ ابْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ الْقَارِىُّ - عَنْ سُهَيْلِ بْنِ أَبِى صَالِحٍ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنْ أَبِى هُرَيْرَةَ عَنْ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- قَالَ « يَنْزِلُ اللَّهُ إِلَى السَّمَاءِ الدُّنْيَا كُلَّ لَيْلَةٍ حِينَ يَمْضِى ثُلُثُ اللَّيْلِ الأَوَّلُ فَيَقُولُ أَنَا الْمَلِكُ أَنَا الْمَلِكُ مَنْ ذَا الَّذِى يَدْعُونِى فَأَسْتَجِيبَ لَهُ مَنْ ذَا الَّذِى يَسْأَلُنِى فَأُعْطِيَهُ مَنْ ذَا الَّذِى يَسْتَغْفِرُنِى فَأَغْفِرَ لَهُ فَلاَ يَزَالُ كَذَلِكَ حَتَّى يُضِىءَ الْفَجْرُ

1.3 Bilal (R.A)narrates that Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم said, "Be vigilant in standing up (in prayer) at night for it was the practise of the pious before you. It is a means of gaining proximity to Allah Ta'ala, expiation for transgressions and a barrier from sins

سنن الترمذى - (ج 13 / ص 72(

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ مَنِيعٍ حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو النَّضْرِ حَدَّثَنَا بَكْرُ بْنُ خُنَيْسٍ عَنْ مُحَمَّدٍ الْقُرَشِىِّ عَنْ رَبِيعَةَ بْنِ يَزِيدَ عَنْ أَبِى إِدْرِيسَ الْخَوْلاَنِىِّ عَنْ بِلاَلٍ أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- قَالَ « عَلَيْكُمْ بِقِيَامِ اللَّيْلِ فَإِنَّهُ دَأْبُ الصَّالِحِينَ قَبْلَكُمْ وَإِنَّ قِيَامَ اللَّيْلِ قُرْبَةٌ إِلَى اللَّهِ وَمَنْهَاةٌ عَنِ الإِثْمِ وَتَكْفِيرٌ لِلسَّيِّئَاتِ وَمَطْرَدَةٌ لِلدَّاءِ عَنِ الْجَسَدِ.

2.    Time for Tahajjud

The time for Tahajjud begins after Esha Salaah and extends upto Subah Saadiq (Mukhtasar Qiyaamul Layl-An Nasr Marwazi). Some Fuqaha are of the opinion that the time for Tahajjud starts after one half of the night has passed (Fataawa Rahimiyya Vol. 4 Page 283- Old edition). However, it is more virtuoues to perform Tahajjud in the latter portion of the night.

Abu Umamah narrates that a person came to Rasulullah (sallallahu Alayhiwasallam)and enquired which Salaah is the most virtuous? He said “Salaah in the middle of the night” (Kitabut Tahajjud- Ibn Abi Dunya Page 304).

3.    Number of Rakaats

3.1 The number of rakaats performed by Nabie (salailahu alaihi wasallam) varied according to the prevailing circumstances. Although on certain occasions sufficient time was available, Nabie (salailahu alaihi wasallam) would perform less rakaats reciting lengthy Qiraat.(Khasa'ile Nabawee p 156)

Deducing from the various narrations four to twelve rakaats in units of two or four have been recommended. (Imdaadul Fatawa vol 1 -Baab finnawaafil / Maraqiyul Falah), However if two rakaats are performed in the prescribed time it will be regarded as Tahajjud.(Raddul Mukhtaar vol 1 p 715)

1.      It is permissible for one to marry his/her first cousin.

2.      It is permissible to work at a gas/petrol station even though they sell Haraam sweets or sandwiches. The income earned from such a job will be regarded to be Halaal.

3.      Allah states “And do not assist in sin and transgression”. Insurance companies are run on interest and Haraam funds which are expressly prohibited in the Quraan. Advertising or selling items that advertise for these Haraam companies will be regarded as assisting in sin and therefore will not be permissible.

Muhammed Zakariyya Desai,
Assistant Mufti

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah