Date: 21st February 2007

What is the minimum criteria for going into Jannat-ul-Firdous?

Question

I have got 3 questions to ask. First, please tell me in detail what is the minimum criteria for going into Jannat-ul-Firdous? I mean does one has to be an Aalim or a Haifz or a Sheikh or a Buzurg Mufti before he could be granted entry into Jannat-ul-Firdous or can an ordinary person who observes the Islamic injunctions and commands but not being abovementioned learend person can also attain such a lofty status in Jannat? 

Secondly, please tell me in detail the way of doing miswak i..e. whether we have to do before performing wudu (ablution), during it (ans if so, during what stage) or after it? Thirdly, I sometimes wash my limbs (face, hands etc.)during wudu more than 3 times. Does this invalidate my wudu or is it necessry not to exceed the required 3 times? Please answer all these 3 questions in as much detail as possible.

Answer

1. Any ordinary person regardless of his worldly title can be admitted into Jannatul-Fridauw. The condition for entry into Jannatul-Firdaus is faith and Aamaale-Salihah (good deeds). The Holy Quran declares “Those who have Iman and do righteous deeds shall have the gardens of Firdaus…” (Surah Kahf, verse 107). Now what are these righteous deeds that render a person elegible to entry into Firdaus? The Holy Quran describes these righteous deeds in the following verses.   

Successful are the believers, those who offer their salaah with humility and submission , and those who shun futile deeds, and those who discharge zakaat, and those who guard their private parts (chastity) except from their wives and slaves; they are free of blame but whoever seeks beyond that, they are transgressors. And those who are considerate towards their trusts and covenants and those who strictly guard their (five daily) prayers. These are indeed the inheritors who will inherit the Firdaus wherein they will dwell forever.” (Surah Muminoon, verses 1-11)

2. Miswaak should be done after washing the hands up to the wrists.

3. Why do you need to wash your limbs more than thrice? If you wash more than thrice because of doubt, this is satanic misgivings through which Shaytaan tries to frustrate you. Do not wash more than thrice. After a few days, these satanic misgivings will vanish. If you are washing more than thrice merely for extra purity, this is a waste of water.

Whatever the case may be, washing more than thrice does not invalidate the wudhu.