Country: Canada
Date: 21st February 2007

My question is what is the procedure by which an older unmarried girl seeks a muslim mate?

Question

My question is what is the procedure by which an older unmarried girl seeks a muslim mate?  I understand that she is vulnerable to unethical muslim men, and i also understand your previous fatwas about the qualities that the girl should look for.  But if the girl's parents senior members of her community are unwilling to help, what is the procedure available to her?

Answer

Perhaps her parents or seniors are unwilling to help because they feel she is not ready for marriage or they are unable to find the right match.

Nonetheless, she should approach her parents or senior members of her community and explain to them her need to get married. Alternatively, if she interested in a pious person, she may send a proposal via her father to the potential husband.