Is Ruqya (reciting Qur'an and blowing on body) is permissible in Islam?

Question

In light of the hadith  "Seventy thousand people of my followers will enter Paradise without accounts, and they are those who do not practice Ar-Ruqya and do not see an evil omen in things, and put their trust in their Lord." which is Narrated by Ibn Abbas and is in Bukhari Volume 8, Book 76, Number 479,

My question was whether Ruqya (reciting Qur'an and blowing on body)  is permissible in Islam?  I was especially wondering if the Sunnah of reciting Surah Ikhlas, Surah Falaq, and Surah Nas and then blowing on palms and rubbing the body before sleeping is considered Ruqya?  If it is, then would this practice make me not be among the 70,000 mentioned in the hadith?  Also, if my understanding of Ruqya is incorrect, please explain to me what it is?

Answer

There are two types of  Ruqya, permissible and non permissible

Permissible Ruqya is that which is derived from the Qur’aan, Hadith and the names of Allah Ta’ala. For example, the recitation of Surah Ikhlas, Falaq, Naas, Ayatul Kursi etc.

Non permissible Ruqya is that which is made up of words besides the Qur’aan, Hadith and names of Allah Ta’ala and the person doing the Ruqya places his full trust in the Ruqya itself and not in Allah Ta’ala.

The Hadith which mentions that seventy thousand people will be granted entry into Paradise without reckoning and they are those who do not practice Ruqya, refers to those who practice the impermissible Ruqya.)Lisanul Arab, Pg:110, Vol 3 Dar Sadir)

Ml. Suhail Tarmahomed,